Now Hiring: Policy Analyst
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Position: 12 Month Contract
Start Date: March 1, 2021
The Hotel Association of Canada is the leading voice of the Canadian Hotel & Lodging industry, bringing legislative solutions to industry challenges. Our mission is to enhance the prosperity of the Canadian Hotel and Lodging industry through strong member engagement, effective advocacy, and the provision of valued programs and services.
Our members are an important part of the HAC network; a network that encompasses hotel owners, management companies, brand companies, provincial and city associations, industry suppliers, educators and students.
About the Job
HAC is currently focused on two core advocacy priorities: COVID-19 relief and fair taxation for online short-term rental providers like Airbnb. In order to ensure pandemic support programs meet the needs of the hotel sector, HAC is actively engaged and working directly with political decision makers on further tailoring and extending the federal government’s wage subsidy and fixed cost relief programs, securing liquidity, and pivoting towards recovery.
HAC’s short-term rental strategy includes a focus on municipal regions where new regulations are being considered for online rental platforms. In parallel, a federal strategy is being executed to secure a fairer taxation regime for online accommodations businesses who are competing with established bricks and mortar operators, like hotels.
Reporting to the Senior Director of Policy & Public Affairs, the Policy Analyst will be responsible for coordinating public policy research and economic analysis as they relate to the above advocacy priorities.
- Provide research, analytic and writing support to the government relations team for policy documents, presentations, web content and various other communications materials and initiatives.
- Provide quantitative data, calculations, and other analysis in response to current policy/economic issues.
- Monitor legislative and political developments on key files and identify strategic opportunities to advance our policy agenda.
- Assist with the design and review of member surveys on key advocacy topics.
- Work closely with and support HAC’s Manager of Communications to develop and implement internal and external communications, marketing and outreach activities as appropriate.
- Conduct strategic media monitoring, coordinate meetings, liaise with the media and provide logistical support on other projects, as required.
Our Ideal Candidate:
- 3+ years experience in the government relations, research and/or economics field.
- University degree or certificate program in public policy, political science, economics or an equivalent combination of education and work experience.
- Strong research and analytical skills with a demonstrated proficiency in synthesizing complex concepts, information and economic data from a variety of sources into clear, concise and compelling content for various audiences.
- Superior writing and oral communication capabilities, and attention to detail.
- Excellent use of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Self-motivated and takes initiative – you will thrive in a busy office with competing priorities.
- Ability to work seamlessly within a team and engage collaboratively with members and stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under tight timelines.
- Ability to integrate feedback to produce optimal content.
- Experience with social media and/or campaigning is an asset.
- Bilingualism is an asset.
Please note that when you click Apply, LinkedIn will allow you to attach just one document. So, please ensure that your cover letter is built into your resume document.
HAC is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We respect the dignity and independence of people with disabilities and provide accommodation and support to persons with disabilities throughout the recruitment and selection process.