From the Desk of the President
I am delighted to be authouring my first Message from the President. The last two months have been a whirlwind of activity. From meeting members, strategic partners, Parliamentarians, sister associations, Board Members, and staff -- to jumping in on our key advocacy files and developing strategies -- to getting a handle on our internal operations and performance, there hasn’t been a dull moment, and I’m enjoying every minute of it!
Over the next few months, I will be listening and learning. I will continue to learn all aspects of the hotel sector as they relate to government laws and regulations. I will be systematically meeting with members and industry experts as I seek to understand how this association can make you more successful. And I will be analyzing the association’s systems and practices to ensure that we are best-in-class amongst our peers.
A key aspect of making you more successful is hearing from you. What keeps you up at night? What are the critical issues we need to own and influence? Do you feel protected by the voice of your national association? If yes, wonderful. If not, let’s talk about it.
An engagement opportunity for this kind of dialogue is just around the corner at our Annual Conference on February 15-16, 2017 at the Sheraton Toronto Airport Hotel & Conference Centre. Please come, bring your colleagues, network with your peers and learn from our impressive line-up of top name speakers.
I am thrilled and energized to be working in an industry filled with brilliant and innovative minds. There is work to be done and I am looking forward to meeting you and hearing your views on how we can build a better business and regulatory environment together.
Join me on February 15-16, 2017 and USE PROMO CODE “HAC” to save $100 on registration. Register at www.hacconference.ca
5 Reasons To Attend
- HEAR FROM TONY CHAPMAN: Our morning keynote will share his plan on how any hotel, no matter size, service level, and location can compete based on emotion versus simply promotion. Learn how to take the “Air” out of Airbnb.
- LEARN ABOUT THE FUTURE OF HOTEL BRANDS: With increasing competition and brand proliferation, what are hotels doing to stand out and be innovative? What types of hotels are growing in Canada? In the session, our leadership panel discusses changing customer preferences, various consumer segments and loyalty programs, which will all drive future growth. We have the opportunity to learn from each other by studying each other’s best practices and strategies to enhance business models.
- HAC TRAVEL INTENTIONS SURVEY: This just in! Travellers from across Canada have completed our survey and we have their “travel intentions” to share – hot off the press. From marketing that works, to mobile check-ins, to Canadians’ views on Airbnb, we have it all. Find out what it all means for your business in 2017.
- RESEARCH-BASED LEARNING: In their session “50 SHADES OF STAY” JASON DUNKEL of Environics Analytics will share up-to-date data on Canada’s ethnic diversity. WASEEM SHAIKH of advertising agency McCann Canada will follow with how to use the ethnic insights to build a marketing strategy that will attract and better connect your hotel with communities, and ultimately boost revenues.
- E-COMMERCE TIPS FOR THE DIRECTOR OF SALES: ROBERT PATTERSON, Director of Content Strategy at MMGY leads this session on how to drive hotel online revenues through the management and execution of online services- website, social media, digital and OTA marketing. With so many channels, how can you convert more leads into business? This session is designed to teach you a couple of new tricks, develop an online business plan to achieve goals and hone your marketing skills.
See you in a few short weeks.
Hotel Association of Canada