Improvements to TFW Program Announced Today Target Hoteliers
On April 4, Minister of Employment, Workforce Development and Disability Inclusion, Carla Qualtrough, announced important changes to the Temporary Foreign Worker (TFW) program under the Workforce Solutions Road Map which will provide hoteliers with better access to the program.
Effective April 30:
- Accommodation and Food Services will be among seven sectors in which employers will be allowed to hire up to 30% of their workforce through the TFW Program for low-wage positions for one year
- The policy that automatically refuses LMIA applications in regions with unemployment rate of 6% or higher will end.
- Addressing seasonal peaks, there will no longer be a limit to the number of low-wage positions that employers in seasonal industries. In addition, the maximum duration of these positions will be increased from 180 days to 270 days per year.
- Labour Market Impact Assessments (LMIA’s) will be valid for 18 months, an increase from 9 months. (Prior to COVID-19, LMIA’s were valid for 6 months).
- The maximum duration of employment for High-Wage and Global Talent Streams workers will be extended to three years. This will help workers qualify for permanent residency, contributing to our long-term workforce.
Applications can be submitted here.